Total Pageviews

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Seborrheic Dermatitis: SKIN FROM HELL!!!

I longed for the day that I could be normal! My day may finally be on its way. I have had an issue with my skin, since I was 13. At least, that's when I noticed my skin was dryer than usual. I remember thinking that people with my skin tone have uneven skin moisture, maybe. Not the case with me.
So, here's how it started. Dry and flaky around my eyebrows and an extremely dry scalp. No it wasn't dandruff! That's what most people thought, including my hair stylist. As I got older, my scalp needed to be washed sometimes 3 times a week or more, just to give it relief from being flaky and dry. My skin cleared up a little and my scalp did, too, depending on the weather. If I relaxed my hair, it would cause my scalp to dry out again, so eventually I went natural.
Here's the hell part! Just recently over the past few years I had a flare up. I call it this because my skin has it good days and it has its bad days. For months my scalp got really dry and irritated and my skin started to get itchy and red on my forehead, under my eyes, on my cheeks, and around my ears. Eventually, where my skin was itchy, it got raw, red, and patchy. I felt like a shedding lizard! Talk about painful and unattractive! I started to hate water on my skin because it would burn and just dry out my skin even more. So, I would only have these flare ups when I would get nervous or upset. I felt like my body was on the attack! I found WEN for my hair. It's a leave-in conditioner. I sometimes would put a little it on my face, too. This stuff saved me for a few months. I still use it. I can't even where makeup or lotion.
It was so hard for me to be in college with this issue because every time I had a test it would show throughout my skin. Very difficult to hide. It made me feel so insecure. I made it, though. At some point, in the middle of all that, my doctor prescribed me some medicine for my face and scalp. This helped me, for a while. I used it when I didn't want to have a flare up. It wasn't a cure for all and that's what I've always wanted. Or, at least, a non-flare up for a longer period, other than a week or two.
So, my dreams came true few days ago! I finally made an appointment to see a dermatologist! I hope that something new will be done, that won't affect my organs. Some of those meds can be too strong for your organs to handle. You need a prescription to see a dermatologist, my prescription stated that I may have Seborrheic dermatitis. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001959/#adam_000963.disease.prognosis

No comments :

Post a Comment