Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Heathers Chicken and Seafood Gumbo with Miracle Rice

Recipe time: 1 hour
I'm from Louisiana and my family is French. We love cajun food! We love seafood! I remember growing up and eating boiled seafood every weekend outside on the picnic table or in the dining room surrounded by family. Those are some my favorite memories.
My mother passed on, but her memory will always live on in my heart. We lived with my grandmother, and her cooking is amazing. I remember them fussing over who made the best gumbo.(grandma won always) I still remember walking home from school and I could smell something being stewed in someone's kitchen, three blocks away. It always ended up being at my grandmothers house. Eventually, I started playing the guessing game. "Could it be chicken stew, shrimp stew, seafood gumbo, chicken and sausage gumbo....". Sometimes I would guess right. Most of the time, I enjoyed being surprised. My favorite surprise, would be when my mother would say, "It's gumbo!".
Great food and family is my way to connect with my culture! Just remember that you read it first here and respect that this is my family recipe. This share is recorded by date and time shared and don't you forget it! Mine all mine! I'll share as much as I should (mainly because I don't want to share.). Enjoy! Mais C'est Bon!
Still trying to show my boyfriend, after three years, so he helped me with the prep work! Every ingredient has to be added at a certain time and follow certain steps, to get it just perfect!



Seasoning                                                                   Season and brown chicken and turkey sausage


Cut onions, peppers, and garlic


Make Roux: Don't think I'm telling you how I do this,
for a second!(I will tell you to, use a wooden spoon)



Add onion, peppers, and garlic


Stir broth slowly, into
 onions, peppers, and garlic, using a wooden spoon.



 Stir in stewed tomatoes. (Normally, I have a glass of wine
at this point, too! Lol)



  • THIS okra STEP IS DONE, WHILE YOU MAKE THE ROUX SAUCE
  • WITH BROTH AND TOMATOE:


(Because you are going to add the fried okra, chicken, turkey sausage, and seafood, afterwards)



Season and flour okra

                                   




 Fry okra, to remove the slime. (some people like
it, though)



                                          Finished frying okra.

  1. Add chicken, turkey sausage, and okra to stewed tomatoe and broth.
  2. Cook for 45 minutes, stir every 20 minutes
  3. After 45 minutes, add frozen crabs and shrimp. Cook for 15 minutes. If seafood is not frozen, cook gumbo for 55 minutes, add seafood for only approx. 5 minutes.

A little secret: Use a couple of napkins to soak up the
oil from the top of the gumbo. Pull it up slowly.
All the oil will be gone after 3 rounds! Makes a big
difference in the taste. I promise! Try it, if you don't
believe me. ;)













Bowl of Miracle Rice:





Dry miracle rice on a napkin,
approximately 3 different napkins, is what I do.



Secret weapon. Add to gumbo at the end
and you can add a little to your gumbo,
as it cooks in the beginning, too.



Sha baby, you have cooked a gumbo!
(The radish and lettuce is for decoration.)

No comments :

Post a Comment